Andrew Weissman poised to open The Luxury in addition to two more restaurants

Andrew Weissman poised to open The Luxury in addition to two more restaurants

Food & Drink: In the last few years, San Antonio has seen an exponential rise in the number of quality restaurant offerings, several of... By Diana Roberts 2/27/2013
How Weed Advocates Hope to Spark Legalization in Texas

How Weed Advocates Hope to Spark Legalization in Texas

News: Less than a mile from the Whatcom County Courthouse and even closer to Bellingham High School sits Top Shelf Cannabis, the first store to open and operate after... By Mark Reagan 8/13/2014
Hall & Oates Singer Hated the Late ’80s, Too

Hall & Oates Singer Hated the Late ’80s, Too

Music: It’s hard for musical duos to survive. Garfunkel felt slighted, Cher never needed Sonny and the Captain could never get a word in edgewise with Tennile. When... By Chris Parker 2/19/2014
Beaches Be Trippin\': Five Texas Coast Spots Worth the Drive

Beaches Be Trippin': Five Texas Coast Spots Worth the Drive

Arts & Culture: Let’s face it, most of us Lone Stars view the Texas coast as a poor man’s Waikiki. Hell, maybe just a poor man’s Panama Beach — only to be used... By Callie Enlow 7/10/2013
Phô Nguyen Woos Phonatics

Phô Nguyen Woos Phonatics

Food & Drink: I don’t expect much from Vietnamese restaurants in the way of decor; it’s more not Chinese and not Japanese than anything. I certainly don’t expect... By Ron Bechtol 8/27/2014

Search hundreds of restaurants in our database.

Search hundreds of clubs in our database.

Follow us on Instagram @sacurrent

Print Email


A talk with investigative journalist Arnold Mann about mold, environmental illness, and MCS

Photo: , License: N/A

Photo: Courtesy photo, License: N/A

Courtesy photo

Arnold Mann


In light of everything that you’ve found, when you are engaged with people over dinner and this momentous challenge before us comes up, what kinds of things do you find yourself offering in terms of how should people live in our toxic environment?

One thing that struck me is how many people I know or am meeting now, randomly, who have this problem or know somebody who has this problem who can’t go into somebody’s house who has perfume on. Or that have fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue and just don’t make the connection between their symptoms and what’s in the environment in their own home. I know a number of people who have this problem and I never realized it until I wrote about it. We’re talking about 15 percent of the population that reacts to outside chemicals. How many people in this country suffer from chronic fatigue? They’ve tried to throw that one at every virus in the world, and in every case the virus turns out not to be the cause. The researchers believe that the vast amount of chronic fatigue is environmentally driven, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia too.


With this neurological side to this, the explosion of everything from depression to autism, what role are toxins playing?

The science right now is looking at environmental factors in the rise of autism, which is just through the roof. Can you imagine, 1 in 100 children born in this country now are born autistic? That’s huge.


Where do people go from here?

Oftentimes, people who suffer from MCS are portrayed as environmental hermits with masks and everything. That’s not the way it is. There’s maybe 1 percent who have to live in the middle of nowhere. The other 99 percent, they’re like you and me. They have to pick their way through the chemical world. You have to figure out what you react to. There are ways of doing that, and there are books that can guide you. But the most important thing is that if somebody in the family suffers from chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, it’s really important for family members to understand. That’s a big reason I wrote this book. I wanted other people to understand what these people are going through so they won’t be looked at as slackers. •


They’re Poisoning Us! From the Gulf War to the Gulf of Mexico

Arnold Mann
34th Street Press
$19.95, 260 pages
For more information:

We welcome user discussion on our site, under the following guidelines:

To comment you must first create a profile and sign-in with a verified DISQUS account or social network ID. Sign up here.

Comments in violation of the rules will be denied, and repeat violators will be banned. Please help police the community by flagging offensive comments for our moderators to review. By posting a comment, you agree to our full terms and conditions. Click here to read terms and conditions.
comments powered by Disqus